|South Dakota State Federation of Labor|
In January 2014, AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka, responding to the introduction of the latest “Fast Track” legislation, said, “It is past time for the United States to get off the corporate hamster wheel on trade.”
On the issue of trade, investment and global economic rules, America’s workers—and our brothers and sisters overseas—certainly are on a hamster wheel.Read more >>>
Initiated Measure 18 does three things:
Raising the minimum wage means South Dakota is...
Valuing hard work. South Dakotans show up, work hard, and never quit until the job is done. But many South Dakotans aren't getting paid a fair wage for their unfailing work ethic. It's time to reward hard work with an honest wage.
Putting money in the pockets of hard working people who grow our economy. Workers with more money will spend it on the things their families need everyday. That boosts demand at small businesses and grows the economy. And a lot of those workers will be lifted out of a poverty and off government assistance too.
Promoting economic fairness. At a time when wages have stagnated and CEO pay is 331 times higher than the average American worker, South Dakotans want an economy that works for everyone.
Initiated Measure 18 is going to make a huge difference for working South Dakotans. According to an analysis of the 2012 Current Population Survey,
~ Congratulations to all of the winners of the SD AFL-CIO Gun Raffle ~
The winners will recieve a call from the SD AFL-CIO with further instructions following each days drawings.
The Gun Calendar can be viewed under Month of Guns - Gun Raffle tab found on the main page left column, then scroll down and click read more.
Click read more to view daily winners!Read more >>>
Transport Workers (TWU) Local 527 provides support services for U.S. troops as they train and learn signal command at the Fort Gordon military base in Augusta, Ga. TWU members do everything from issuing and repairing equipment and vehicles to making sure the well water is safe to drink and the facilities are heating and cooling properly. Read the full article>>>
It's pretty frustrating seeing all the headlines that claim the economy is alive and kicking. Sure, there is economic growth and a steady increase in jobs, but what kind of jobs are we talking about exactly? Well, they aren't the kind of jobs we think of first when it comes to steady, middle-class jobs. No big surprise here, low-wage service sector jobs like those in the fast-food industry are seeing the biggest gains. Bryce Covert at The New Republic has a nice summary of what America's workers are up against when it comes to wages. Read more >>>
When President Barack Obama first announced his candidacy for president, he said: “I am running in this race because of what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called ‘the fierce urgency of now.’ Because I believe that there’s such a thing as being too late. And that hour is almost upon us.” Like Dr. King, our president was calling on America to make real the promises of our democracy. That fierce urgency of now is here for thousands of refugee children from Central America. I know many of these kids’ stories because it is my story, too. Read more >>>
Month of Guns September 2014 Rules
• Month of Guns Raffle – September 1, 2014 to September 30, 2014
• Tickets will sell for $20.00 each or 6 for $100.00 (printed on ticket)
• The daily winners will be posted on the South Dakota AFL-CIO’s website
• Winners must pass a background check to receive a firearm. If the background check is denied, the winner will receive cash/gift card in the amount of the gun price drawn for that day.
• Each ticket holder has an opportunity to win 30 guns. When a ticket is drawn as a winner that ticket will go back in for the remaining drawings.
• If the winner cannot pick up the gun at a Cabela’s the SD AFL-CIO will pay the transfer fee to another dealer and any shipping/handling costs.
• PLEASE BE ADVISED: The guns shown on the calendar are the selected prizes but cannot be guaranteed based on availability. If a gun is still unavailable at the time of the drawing the winner can elect to wait until that particular gun is available or may select a different gun of equal msrp value printed on the calendar for that days drawing.
Please make sure the individual buying the ticket(s) puts their phone number on the stub. (Needed for verification when/if they win) Thank you for helping with our fundraiser! If you have any questions, please contact the SD AFL-CIO at 605-339-7284.
Click read more to view the Gun Calendar!Read more >>>
AFL-CIO Now Blog -- Recent News Stories
The South Dakota State Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO is the state federation of labor representing over 8,000 members of 154 unions throughout South Dakota. The mission of the South Dakota State Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO is to improve the lives of working families—to bring economic justice to the workplace and social justice to our state and the nation.
© AFL-CIO. All rights reserved.
Photographs and illustrations, as well as text, cannot be used without permission from the AFL-CIO.